National City Bank - NatCity bull@#$% fees

Columbus, Ohio 12 comments

I just moved an IRA out of NatCity Investments. They charged me $95 to close the account and $15 more for my annual fee.

I never even get a call from them. Never use a bank as an investment company! I am greatfull they were bought out today. I hope those vultures all lose their jobs!

Please never use their "services". They are a complete rip off!!! The best part of this is that they are going to take $100 dollars for my other account also. It is worth about $700!

And you thought your bank's s ATM fees were bad. :(

Review about: Ira.

Comments

I have paid $822, this month alone in fees. I thought I was the only one being hit with these fees.

Now that I know I will be closing my account tomorrow. Never had problems like this with other banks.

I used to work for National City as a Manager. YOU WANT TO GET FEES REFUNDED HERE'S HOW:

1. Make up some crazy lie about why your overdrafts happened. Ex: Your mom just had a stroke (some uncontrollable illness/family problem) and you weren't thinking straight and you meant to use your credit card and you used your debit card all day (CRY). These people are just like you. Unfortunately, they are kind of like cops, but really they are everyday people outside of that building.

2. If they're still unwilling to refund anything, that's when you don't mess around. If your talking to the Asst Mgr, ask to talk to the Branch Mgr, if you're talking to the Branch Mgr, ask to talk to the Regional Mgr, if they wont give you the phone number, call the call center and be SUPER nice to the representative. I knew of a branch where the customer was able to get our MARKET MANAGER's phone number AND her assistant. This is VERY scary to bank employees because 9 times out of 10, they will be forced to refund fees because Market Managers will refund A LOT.

The thing you need to remember is that you have to work to get your money back. You have to pretend you're in drama class and cry or threaten to call your local news station. In this market, there is a bank on every corner and they are all fighting for your business and all of those branches need to hit goals. All Regional Mgrs get reports stating open/close ratios, how many accts they opened that day to how many accts they closed. You need to threaten to pull all of your business and not do future business. You need to say that they will be losing your RELATIONSHIP- your DIRECT DEPOSIT. Also, tell them to compare what you've paid to what you're asking to be refunded. Sometimes you just need to be real with them. Ex: "I've already given you 1,500 in refunds and all I'm asking for is 200 so I can pay my mortgage/rent/just live. If you don't give me these refunds, your bank will be losing out on all of the potential overdraft fees I will pay in the future!"

Tip: Bank of America and CHASE just put out some regulations about o/d fees. Pretty nice for you habitual overdrawers. Hope this helps, it's hard out there.

i'm glad i discovered this complaint. actually tomorrow i was moving my account to national city but it doesnt look like thats going to be happening now. thank you.

Gota love them businesses right?

I closed my bank account years a go!

5 dollars of savings or 5 million

doesn't matter the amount of money i have.

its never going to see a bank account.. EVER! :)

anyone who says responsibility is a good thing has never experienced problems before.

you see responsibility? you RUN!

thats the only real way to win at life :)

Oh so now bank employees are rocket scientist!? and the customer is just *** ***? :( well im closing my account

nat city,

I get to take time out of my workday tommarrow to come see you clusterfucks about a bank error, but we know the truth right, i'll be told its my fault that you cant do elementary math, i'll get pissed and eventually you'll return my stolen money. Fifth largest bank in the US?

Gee, I wonder how you managed to do that.

Anyway I'm looking forward to our date. ;)

I wrote the whole message just for you to frick me over!! You never even asked me for a security code!!

You are just as sick as the thieves who work in the National City Banks!!

I tried to tell you all how they fricked me over, and then tell me about a security code after they blew the truth of a screw over under the rug!! This screwy thing is a joke just like the National City Bank is a flipping rip off bunch of ***!!

Sounds to me like you were in a mutual fund which ALL companies charge a management fee. LOSER!!

:? WTF I hope your not really employees. We all need to go to using local credit unions.

We at least would have a little recourse to the compliant dept. Then I think dip$*#$ like these people would lose there jobs

Sorry customers, but now we will be the fifth largest bank in the US-so we won't be losing our jobs :grin

Maybe if customers understood how banks really worked, they wouldn't waste their time complaining about them. They should use their time to read the materials they are given when they open their accounts. It's a business people-there are ALWAYS fees.

We actually weren't "bought out," we merged. Thank you.

National City Bank - National City Sucks

Grand Rapids, Michigan 1 comment

My paycheck is directed deposited on Wednesdays and on Tuesday evening I had a few items come through that (according to National City) were not covered, however my balance continued to show a positive balance even though they charged me for 9 overdrafts totaling $306.00. I called the branch where I opened my account and was told that it was my fault not theres that my husband and I were not good customers and after a lecture the women stated that she would meet me half way and give me $153.00 back.

I stated that I did not feel that that was enough and that I wanted to speak with the regional manager, she refused to give me he number, but after I asked several times she gave it to me, I did not receive a call back so I contacted the office of the president of National City and spoke with the secretary to the president, she took my information and stated that it would go to a dispute resolution committee. The next day I received a call the the regional sales manager, guess what, she was the dispute resolution committee and she lectured me and belittled me and then basically stated that my husband and I needed to find a new bank, we have had our account at National City for 12 years and I hadn't contacted the branch in over 3 years.

I believe that the reason we were asked to find a new bank is because I threatened to file a complaint with the State of Michigan.

Review about: Bank Account.

Comments

The bank was right. You had debits (expenses) come into your account on Tuesday, but the money was not credited (deposits) into your account until Wednesday.

Consequently, you did not have enough to pay your Tuesday bills until Wednesday and incurred overdraft charges.

Don't right checks for money that you don't have and you won't have this problem. Banks are not required to make funds immediately available - ask the bank for their policy so you'll know what to expect in the future.

National city bank dishonest do not put your money in this bank

Mcalester, Oklahoma 1 comment

my mother was told she would draw 439.40 a month in interest from her cd but have never drawn that amount..yes the bank put it in writting...mom is 89 years old with a 3rd grade education...the asst branch mgr would not afford me the opportunity to talk with a bank officer i have never seen this before at a bank ...national city bank ft wright ky...now we are being forced to obtain a lawyer for mom because the bank was very rude to her you would think that because of her age she would be the last person a bank would do this to

Comments

Her age really has nothing to do with the matter, or her lack of her education. I really can't figure out what your complaint is here with National City, due to the apparent lack of your education as well.

National City Bank - Unfair credit card practices

Monroe, Michigan 0 comments

I DID 2 BALANCE TRANSFER FOR 5.99 FOR THE LIFE OF THE LOAN ON MY CREDIT CARD, AND I AM THE TYPE OF PERSON THAT PAYS ON TIME, BUT SOMETHING HIT MY CREDIT REPORT IN ERROR, AND NATIONAL CITY TOOK THE RATE UP TO 24.99 ON ONE TRANSFER AND LEFT THE OTHER ONE ALONE, I SUBMITTED A COMPLAINT TO THE BBB, THEY REPONDED AND GAVE ME PART OF MY MONEY BACK, WHEN I ASKED FOR THE REST OF IT. THEY TOLD ME THAT WAS ALL THEY WERE GOING TO GIVE ME AND DIDN'T HAVE TO GIVE ME THAT.

I WILL NEVER DO BUSINESS WITH NATIONAL CITY AGAIN, THEY ARE SO RUDE.

Review about: Credit Card.

National City Bank - To All National City Haters...

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 1 comment

I start by saying I am a faithful National City Employee. I cannot present to anyone what I do not myself believe in.

First I would like to say in response to so many posts that in all stories there could be human error and for that we should be forgiving. To be rude or condescending is also not acceptable. With that said, many complaining not only on the blog but in my branch about overdrafts are "MAINLY" those who are in no way responsible for keeping record of their accounts, I will not take blame for that. I respect my customers whether they are in the negative $200 or positive $200K.

I am NOT responsible for......your lack of planning and check writing BEFORE you have the funds to do so...Not responsible for your personal life, that is what your family is for.....I DO love my customers, I understand them, *** I've had RECENT overdrafts....It's MY fault I knew i didn't have it! I am NOT responsible for your HELOC freeze, Blame BUSH we are just abiding by their rules....Your 2 cent overdraft costing you $34, yep it's a loan baby, you wrote a check your account couldn't pay and by the way we lost more money paying your pizza bill than you did overdrafting. I am actual friends with MANY of my customers and have cried over the death of more than one.

I AM National City Bank and I'm truly sorry if you did have an unresolved "issue" and it was not TRULY your fault. I'm in Monroeville Pennsylvania and if you come to my branch you will get the utmost respect from me.

I've found most people are more patient in line at McDonalds waiting for their promised "fast food" than they are at a local bank who is being careful to count their money, keep balances low in drawers in case of robberies.......until you have walked in our shoes.....I love National City and if you are my customer I love you too

Comments

Kudos, as with ALL large corporations, there are those people who really should not be in customer service, just as there are those customers who really should NOT have a checking account. Accountability is two-fold.

We don't write your checks, YOU DO, we don't balance your account, YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO, so when YOU overdraw, WE are taking the risk of you leaving us high and dry. Unfortunately if that happens enough times, we have to pass that on to the rest of the group. Just as shoplifting increases prices, ovedrafting increases fees. It's a loan, would you rather we return the $20.00 check that overdrew you $5.00, charge you and have you embarrassed AND charged another $25 at the merchant?

We do try to be fair, but coming in and yelling at me that "this bank is stealing my money" isn't going to get you too far. Be reasonable, if you've overdrawn before, well you know the drill... pay the fine and be on your way. If it's truly the first time EVER and you've been around for awhile (yes, that's MORE than 6 months) and it's not by hundreds of dollars...

you're more likely to get a break. Come visit me anytime... White Lake Michigan... we treat you with respect, so long as you do the same and take responsibility for your mistakes, just like you expect us to.

and just for the record......... NO WE ARE NOT CLOSING.

National City Bank improper accounting practice

Los Angeles, California 0 comments

I also have had the problem of this bank deducting overdraft charges before the Items clear. Also the same problem with the customer reps refusing to return my calls.

As a result I have contacted the local news station in cleveland and they are starting an investigation. Additionally I am in the process of filing a complaint with the Federal Banking Commission and I would encourge all to do the same.

For the WEWS news correspondant please call:

Joe Pagansi - 216 431 4357

330 434 0616

To File with Federal Banking Comm.

Name of customer

ste 3450

Houston Tx, 77010

Fax ph: 614 728 8400

Review about: Checking.

National city bank just a small peanut

Chicago, Illinois 0 comments

I had a heloc with national city bank. They sent ma letter that said they are suspending my account 3 days after the date on the latter, which happened to be dated 4 days prior to when i recieved it.

they suspended my heloc because my house dropped in value. I still had plenty of equity but they said they suspended it because it dropped in value and this was all they needed to do it. They are in their right to do this but I dont like the way they played like a small time operation with dating a letter and not allowing enough time for me to get it before the date expired. That was a calculated move on their part.

anyway, I went to a real bank and refinanced for the exact amount I had with N.C.

Small players like national city will be eaten up by the better banks so avoid the hassles and skip over them.

I think they are on their way down right now and are trying hard to unload as much debt as they can.

RIPPED OFF BY NATIONAL CITY BANK

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 5 comments

hey guys who commented on my RIPPED OF BY NATIONAL CITY BANK. Get away as fast as you can.

I just opened another checking at Citizens. They are a lot better than NCB. NATIONAL CITY WILL CONTINUE ripping ppl off, they are in debt and hopefully will be taken over. They tell lies, hid your money, will not let you see any bank info.

of your statement that is on their computer log? Why? we know why. Thanks for your comments.

Make sure you get out of there ASAP. I have seen some bad review on Citizens, but have talked to many, many ppl and they all agree this is a much better bank. I will keep in touch.

I just opened my acct with Citizens, will let you know how they are!!!

Review about: Checking Accounts.

Comments

I too have a ncb acct, same thing my pay went in my larger bills paid first. Then they really got me, I charged a hotel then cancelled hotel.

called ncb they said they showed record of charge but it had not gon through system . I asked to stop pmt due to dispute with hotel, they told me to wait 72 hours to see if hotel charges went through or if hotel did not claim charges. 72 hrs later call ncb they had no record of anything on the hotel. explained I called 3 days ago they said sorry no record.

2 days latyer hotel fees went through. called bank again response " I should be more aware of my travel, and only book hotels I am familiar with" What kind of reply is that on my banking?????

N.C.B. is the worst ever.

They are very arogoant and disrespectfull and there is always mistakes done by there bank. All they do is steal your money!!!!!

rman

This is the worst bank i have ever encountered. There is no corporate office to speak to to resolve issues.

Your money is moved in and out of your account. I was told by at least 8 employees that was because the merchant did not submit within 72 hours.

When proof was given from the merchant, suddenly the story was "where did you get 72 hours?" They spoke in a disdainful, derrogatory way and told me I should learn to keep accurate records.

Very nasty people at a very nasty bank!! Stay away from this one!!!

Philippi, West Virginia, United States #31930

i'm with ya, they charged me 8 over darft fees and once all of them cleared and my transactions i still had a positve balance.(and its not the first time it happened) explain that, Their explainion was due to even though my check posted yesteray the funds were not availble until today 7/01/08 but the last time it happened the person told me when you make a check deposite only 100.00 is availble and the rest will be available the next day. I listened and they still got me.

and i have noticed that they take the big puchases first (even it they were puchased last or even a different day) and put them through then smaller ones to try to get more over draft fees. -- i just closed my account today, but i have copies of my online statement also,--i also notice that one time my running balance on my on-line statement changed a week later. i filed a bbb complaint and got some of my fees back but their resposes were ridicules.

their explaination for the high charges going through is due to the customers perfer it that way. I dont know about you but I perfer the charges to go through in the way i charged them not the larger dollar orders, so they can charge you more overdraft fees.

National City Bank mortgage department unreasonable paperwork

New York, New York 0 comments

I had a mortgage/line of credit with National City. Both myself and my partner were on the loan.

Unfortunately, I'm now being audited by the IRS.

I've requested an update on the tax mortgage paperwork so that I can clear up the paperwork with the IRS. They have _no way_ to change paperwork in their loans. Whoemever was the primary on the loan is primary forever, even though I paid my fair share on this loan, I now can't declare it in taxes. My other mortgage company had me just fax in a piece of paper and they sent the update - no problem.

Thanks for screwing me National City Bank.

Review about: Mortgage.

Monetary Loss: $2000.

National City Bank will stonewall you

Louisville, Kentucky 4 comments

national city took 12 dollars from me after they sent me through a series of hoops for them. they said they did something and didn't.

watch out consumers.they are a very dirty set of people. I agreed to online bill pay so i could get free checks.

not only did they not let me on, they had my address wrong and told me it was my fault, i didn't get to go online because they set up the way to screw me out of money and they don't have to give anything for free.They just never told me about anything helpful, there was no service at all through the whole process.

Comments

:( i opened a checking account with national city bank january of 2oo8 and i have yet to not be hit with there infamaous 36.00 fee at least once a week. currently all my direct deposits have gone in (4), my account was in a positive level, they still fee'd me.

go figure! they lie, cheat and steal to get your money. even know, my rent check bounced because i had ordered and paid for 2 check to stop pay(36.00 each please) and they WERENT stopped! they acutally went through and paid.

i was so irate, i called the bank and they told me, oh its the comoputer an it is standard practice for the bank to pay out then the computer will magically redeposit the stop paid amounts in 3 days.all the way the checks you wrote all bounce in the mean time. this is a nother way for them to fee you some more! i am so pissed off aa i am closing the account once the money is out back in.

run away from ncb as soon as you can. dont be scammed!

#31960

with you....NATIONAL CITY SUCKS!!!!! CANT TEL U HOW MUCH MONEY THEY HAVE GOTTEN PAST ME OVER THE YEARS IN FEESSSSS!!!! OVER IT, & MOVING ON!!!!!!!!!!

Philippi, West Virginia, United States #31935