National City Bank - Applying Insufficient Funds Fees to a Positive Balanced Account

Bell, California 5 comments

National City Bank is charging against my account "with a positive balance" due to my other account which is in the negative. Meaning...

they are debiting daily fees from "both" accounts for one account in the negative. Additionally, when I attempted to transfer the available funds from one account to the other (negative) account to begin building my account back up to a positive balance, National City then "refused" the transfer to begin rebuilding the negative account. I realize they are hurting financially, but this is so clearly absurd. I am presently investigating this matter with the OCC.

Anyone else experirence same issues?

Comments

Just to clear the water, When you make a purchase, YOU ARE TO HAVE MONEY IN YOUR ACCOUNT. Also when you make a deposit, The first $100 is available to cover items that night and the rest is available the next morning.

So Don't Spend Your Money Before You Have It....Its a simple concept... Also The Fee's are applied on your OLB statement differently then they actually happened.

Thats why it looks like you were charged OD Fee's on a positive balance. Again this come down to Don't Spend you money before its in your account..

Same problem. National City is scrounging for ways to shore themselves up, and if they need to practice kleptomania, so be it.

I can not win the fight against this institution, but I can stay far, far away, and I hope that millions of other decent, hard-working people, who's only offense was not to have enough money in the opinion of the NC god, will join me. Save your anger; use your feet.

Philippi, West Virginia, United States #31936

i'm with ya, they charged me 8 over darft fees and once all of them cleared and my transactions i still had a positve balance.(and its not the first time it happened) explain that, Their explainion was due to even though my check posted yesteray the funds were not availble until today 7/01/08 but the last time it happened the person told me when you make a check deposite only 100.00 is availble and the rest will be available the next day. I listened and they still got me.

and i have noticed that they take the big puchases first (even it they were puchased last or even a different day) and put them through then smaller ones to try to get more over draft fees. -- i just closed my account today, but i have copies of my online statement also,--i also notice that one time my running balance on my on-line statement changed a week later. i filed a bbb complaint and got some of my fees back but their resposes were ridicules.

their explaination for the high charges going through is due to the customers perfer it that way. I dont know about you but I perfer the charges to go through in the way i charged them not the larger dollar orders, so they can charge you more overdraft fees.

Philippi, West Virginia, United States #31929

West Clarkston-Highland, Washington, United States #26505

They dont listen to a damned thing you ask them to do. Abusive. Flagrently abusive

Tired of being Ripped off at National City Bank

Jacksonville, North Carolina 4 comments

Hey all of you complaining about National City Bank, I agree. This bank has hit me with more Overdraft fees in the last year than the previous 22yrs.

I've been banking there. They are in debt, so they are stealing from the little guys. Also, they change their policies and procedures like people change their underwear. Each time I call and talk to those "Reps" they all give me a different story.

They do not post your money on the day it should be and they blame you. People use any bank, not this one.

Oh, and remember your complaints go unanswered, and its never their fault.

Review about: Banking.

Philippi, West Virginia, United States #31933

Cegled, Pest, Hungary #28774

try working for NC bank.

worst job I have had ever. They do not care about anything, but $$$$

Clifton, England, United Kingdom #25837

This bank needs to go under...I'll take out my $14.08 or even let them take it, as long as they go away!

Constableville, New York, United States #24734

I was actually happy to see that I am not the only one getting ripped off by overdraft charges and daily charges by National Citty. It is ridiculous and they hit you when you're down. I will leave this bank as soon as I am able you can bet on that.

National City Bank - More overdraft fees

Washington, District Of Columbia 15 comments

Yes it is true National City will cover your largest checks first then the smaller ones, they say they are doing us a favor, since big checks are usually mortgages or car notes. Except what is the difference if a $15.00, and $20.00 charge come in and they put those through first, Oh yeah I know they won't be able to charge you 7 overdraft fees if they did that, they are looking out for us.

At least that's what the bank wrote back to me..!! Unbelievable? But true...I couldn't believe it. If they had put through all my smaller check amounts, there would have been a one time charge of an overdraft fee, but they put though the larger amount and charged me 7 $34.00 fees.

They didn't returned any of my checks because my 3 direct deposits were deposited promptly the next day.

Oh so sad, is this really legal????

Review about: Overdraft Fees.

Comments

I used to work for National City as a Manager. YOU WANT TO GET FEES REFUNDED HERE'S HOW:

1. Make up some crazy lie about why your overdrafts happened. Ex: Your mom just had a stroke (some uncontrollable illness/family problem) and you weren't thinking straight and you meant to use your credit card and you used your debit card all day (CRY). These people are just like you. Unfortunately, they are kind of like cops, but really they are everyday people outside of that building.

2. If they're still unwilling to refund anything, that's when you don't mess around. If your talking to the Asst Mgr, ask to talk to the Branch Mgr, if you're talking to the Branch Mgr, ask to talk to the Regional Mgr, if they wont give you the phone number, call the call center and be SUPER nice to the representative. I knew of a branch where the customer was able to get our MARKET MANAGER's phone number AND her assistant. This is VERY scary to bank employees because 9 times out of 10, they will be forced to refund fees because Market Managers will refund A LOT.

The thing you need to remember is that you have to work to get your money back. You have to pretend you're in drama class and cry or threaten to call your local news station. In this market, there is a bank on every corner and they are all fighting for your business and all of those branches need to hit goals. All Regional Mgrs get reports stating open/close ratios, how many accts they opened that day to how many accts they closed. You need to threaten to pull all of your business and not do future business. You need to say that they will be losing your RELATIONSHIP- your DIRECT DEPOSIT. Also, tell them to compare what you've paid to what you're asking to be refunded. Sometimes you just need to be real with them. Ex: "I've already given you 1,500 in refunds and all I'm asking for is 200 so I can pay my mortgage/rent/just live. If you don't give me these refunds, your bank will be losing out on all of the potential overdraft fees I will pay in the future!"

Tip: Bank of America and CHASE just put out some regulations about o/d fees. Pretty nice for you habitual overdrawers. Hope this helps, it's hard out there.

I switched to National City due to the overdraft fees that Bank of America was in the habit of helping itself to. It was fine until the meltdown of 2008. At that point the fees started slow ( I can make a mistake and forget to enter a debit item) but in the last 3 months it has escalated to the point where they assess the fees from the positive side of the ledger (paying themselves first) then paying what should have been paid without the fees.

As I watched the Wall Street Report this morning they had focused on the BOA and Chase changes, and the fact that in 1999 the banks collected 19 million in OD fees, and last year they collected over $30 million.

If I had the ability to write my own check I guess I would too. The real question for me is do the banks do this as policy or is there a way for someone inside the system to access the funds as they are asessed.

Seems that if the Office of the Comptroller of Currency (the agency that polices the finance policies) were to take a hard look at this practice that they may find that the RICO laws could be applied.

I made a deposit, knowing my rent check was coming through soon. It showed up as a pending the same day I made the deposit and overdrew my account.

I figured since the deposit was made the same day, that would post first and then the other items would co through. They did, but I received 9 OD fees to a tune of $306. They tell me they hold the deposit for one business day to verify. Fine...my question is, why can't a bank go back and remove the fees, if the deposit is deemed worthy?

That makes sense to me. Keep the fees to protect themselves, but if all is well, then why not reverse?

Oh...that's right, it's because they make $$$ off of the fees! My bad...

I bank with 5 banks and I have never every had the overdraft charges like I have with National City.....I am going to close my accounts.....there isn't ANYONE there who will listen.

rman

The bankers say you should manage your money properly -- they should give you the rules properly. The rules should not change according to whim.

The superior, sarcastic guy who says they don't have someone overseeing your account probably expects personal service for himself and his own family if something goes wrong! And, by the way, the overseeing seems to find each and every little way, legitimate or not, to get a chance to charge you!!

I had a direct deposit from my employer that didnt post and I had an overdraft charge of 30 bucks. No big deal it was my fault the money wasnt there, but when they tack on 12 more charges without any notification of insufficient funds is where the problem comes in.

The bank has no problem of sending a ton of spam or emails when you change a password etc. god forbid they would do the same for insufficient funds. What *** me off is they never stopped my debit card either. I understand the bank is in the business of making money.....

I thought the interest off of loans took care of that, not screwing your customers. Oh yah one more thing..... My bank was bought out by national city recently and my previous bank was set up with email alerts when the account was low. Do you think National City kept my account set up the same....

NO! National City can kiss my a%#

Philippi, West Virginia, United States #31934

Don60515
Lincoln Village, Ohio, United States #27765

Midwest banker and social banker say it the best....

Now that you know how it works and what the rules are it should work for you.

It's not the banks fault you don't have the funds. It's YOURS!!

Should they know the order to put your checks through? Sounds like they were gonna bounce from start.

Banks LOVE people like you because it makes money for them. DUH!

Mount Plymouth, Florida, United States #25863

I have been having a horrible time with them doing this to me. Don't rely on online banking because one day it says one thing and the next day they completely changed it, usually causing you having to pay fees. I am changing banks!!!!!!!!

Sudbury, England, United Kingdom #25448

I never have overdraft problems like this until i got with this bank.

Mettlach, Saarland, Germany #24127

I think it is funny how people always seem to write...keep track its simple. NO it isn't when the *** bank is out to get you. Obviously you've just never had to deal with it---it is terrible.

Coplay, Pennsylvania, United States #22354

Overdraft fee arguments are easy to solve.

KEEP TRACK OF YOUR ACCOUNT RECORDS AND ALWAYS HAVE THE FUNDS AVAILABLE IN YOU ACCOUNT PRIOR TO SPENDING!!! If you follow that simple rule you will not have overdraft fees.

Now, I understand that human errors can occur....and in that case (first time overdraft) your bank is usually willing to work with you.

However, a bank is a business.....they are not designed to loose money......so if they provide you a service of lending you money when you didn't have it in your account, it is a service of the bank and in turn their is a charge i.e. an overdraft charge.

Dillon, Montana, United States #22264

:( I've had the same thing happen because of the way that they do postings and I don't care what "social banker" says, they are holding large checks and posting them first in order to create overdrafts. I also know 4 other people that this has happened to.

The guy on the telephone said that they pick and choose what they want to post first. It was admitted! It has nothing to do with managing money, I was told point-blank that's what they do. I think that it's ridiculus that a bank is NEVER culpable for anything.

National City has had security breaches and identity thefts and they have a lot of financial problems internally, anyways.

Be careful, you don't want to end up like IndyMac. Take your money elsewhere.

Oakwood, Virginia, United States #21523

Bottomline, manage your money and most importantly manage your account. When you open these accounts you're agreeing to the terms of the bank.

If you don't like it then close it. These banks don't have an individual person overseeing your account to make sure the correct checks get paid. They are not your accountants.

YOU need to manage it. So next time you write a check or swipe that check card...make sure you have the funds.

Juiz De Fora, Minas Gerais, Brazil #21132

I was with a different bank in the 90's that did this as well. I left them shortly after I made the discover so I don't know if they still handle transactions that way.

The small local bank I'm with now doesn't give any type of priority to any transaction.

My account balance is calculated based on the timestamp on the deposit slip or the time that the retailer submitted the charge on my debit card. I have a much easier time tracking what my true balance is.

National City Bank - National City Lost my Business

Dayton, Ohio 2 comments

I has a personal checking, business checking, three savings accounts, Iras, mutual funds, and my mortgage through National city. My husband and I opened the accounts there after we married. For four years we had them and never once went into overdraft charges. My husband forgot to tell me about some debit charges he made the week before. National City held them in pending for four days. When I realized we would be short, I went to the bank and deposited over seven hundred in checks to cover it. The next day I was hit with five $34 over draft fees.

It turns out that they deduct all monies first, hit you with fees then credit your account with any money you have deposited. It is set up to charge you fees.

I went into the bank to ask for the fees to be returned. We are good customers and had never had errors before. They refused to refund the fees. When I told them that if they didn't I would close my accounts...they said okay close your accounts. So I did.

It was horrible customer service and they lost my business because of it!

Review about: Checking.

Mettlach, Saarland, Germany #24123

NATIONAL CITY IS THE WORSE COMPANY EVER! They have no sympothy for anyone or anything. Just a bunch of Jerks.

Fort Gratiot Township, Michigan, United States #22314

credits post before debits. if you deposited checks, then a hold must have been placed on the checks, had you deposited cash it would have been available that day and you would not have been charged fees. Not to mention your receipt would have shown when the funds would be available.

National City Bank

Galeton, Pennsylvania 2 comments

If you don't want your money stolen from you then do not use this bank. 1st of all they deduct your debits charges hold them in pending then wait until a larger amount comes in and post it first after they have already debited your debit amounts then charged overdraft fees for all of them.

I had an unexpected (higher then usual telphone bill when my son was over and ran my phone bill up) i have my phone bill set up in bill pay. I also use the online banking. Used my debit card on 3 occasions on a friday 1st one was a debit at 7:30 a.m. posted to my account as soon as i used it, money was there for the debit charges used, National City debited my account with still a balance but, they put those in pending status and yet deduct them then on Monday phone bill came in after the debit charges low and behold they posted the large amount first then posted the 3 debits that were posted on Friday, I called them Monday evening and explained to the dumb *** girl that it was going to put me in a big overdraft from the way they did it she said it wouldnt because it looked like I was short only $2 I explained that it wouldn't and it was a rip off on how they post the largest amount after the debits were already there she was rude could care less, i told her i was going to check the next morning sure enough there they were all 4 in overdraft.

So I called that evening this lady could care less either I wasn't nice by this time on how they steal from you she told me if I would kept a register it wouldnt of happened i told her the one payment came in unexpectantly and those debits should of never been posted after the large one coz they were already taken out. She argued that they were in pending but yet I saw that they did take the amounts out of my balance as soon as they hit the account. She then told me she would contact the main branch, did he informed her he would not *** the charges because I had banked there a long time and they always take the largest amount first and i should keep a register (WHY??? what does that have anything to do with they still would take your money and I always use online banking no different then a register).

I have no problem paying if I am in a overdraft at my fault but, when they put it in an overdraft so they can get those charges that IS THIEVING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not the first time we had seen this happen on how they post. PLEASE DON"T USE THIS BANK!! They are getting rich from us that work hard for our money and they could care less!!!!!!!

Just watch how they post your account and you also will see.

#61978

First of all dumb a@@ I am not a DUDE!!!!! And I am not an ***!!!

How ironic is it that I switched banks and would you believe not one problem with my accout with the new bank...????????? Gee isn't that crazy? My money goes right in, my debits come right out when used, and you know they DON'T HOLD THE SMALL AMOUNT TRANSACTIONS hoping a large one will come and So they CAN SCAM YOU!!!!! AND STEAL!!!

Another thing you have no idea what you are talking about regarding the conversation I was not rude to her she is the one that was a *** I deal with public everyday and you know I would never talk to one of my vendors the way she acted. Why should I be so nice to her when she is supposed to deal with public in more of a proffesional way.

AGAIN NATIONAL CITY BANK IS NOTHING MORE THE GOLD DIGGERS!!! SO *** ME A@@ HOLE!!!!!!!!!!

#61960

you know, your an ***. You think that teller had anything to do with that?

My God, dude we set at a computer all day long and listen to dumb *** like you complain about overdrafts. Then the next customer that comes in has no problems managing their account. Read the *** pricing schedule. Yes, he is right, they always take the largest first.

Is it something I agree with or that particular teller probably agreed with? I doubt it.

But she probably told the manger you were a *** so they were a lot less likely to refund those fees. Try being friendlier it would have probably got your money back.

National City Bank Overdraft ridiculous

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 29 comments

I recently learned that National City was Millions of dollars in debt and now these overdraft fees are making more sense. And ***, they really kick you when your down.

I have never had a 36 dollar fee forgiven, even though some were banking errors. If anyone wants to get a group together with proof of unethical banking, Im all for a class action ! I have a lot of print outs to argue the case as Im sure many of you do. My e-mail is Plaxicob80@hotmail.com.

Hit me up.

Anyway, the representatives on the phone are extremely rude, I asked to talk to a manager this morning and the guy hung up on me.

Review about: Checking Account.

Comments

Lets do the class action suit. We all know we have been scamed.

They intentionally let the larger transaction get approved first and overdraft the smaller ones... ON PURPOSE.. I believe they even held the smallertransactions a day or two longer than larger ones just to *** us.

I am more than ready to join. they got me for over $12k two years!!

I've been through this and have been watching our NCB account. When it seems that your account is getting low, they will hold back quite a few charges.

They do not apply them right away. When you get a low balance, WHAM, they all of the sudden apply the items and presto...a *** load of overdraft fees. For everybody here, take what you have left out of this bank and open an account elsewhere. This is not my imagination as I have been with this bank for almost 5 years now.

They get away with it temporarily by saying "you can't balance your checkbook online" bla bla bla. This is a HUGE racket for this bank.

They will continue until a class action lawsuit is filed.

brian_beatty@yahoo.com

I want to join the class action suit if anyone has gotten it started. Please contact me at cltengesdahl@yahoo.com. I'm sick of NCB.

#119107

I was just looking at my online account and found a NSF there when I had plenty of money in my account. I never even came close to '0' balance.

How can this be justified. For example I had $500.00 a few checks came out totaling $300 balance is now shoing over hundred dollars still in there, three should be no reason at all

I received an NSF fee whatsoever. Im so tired of this bank, all they do is try to steal money from hard working Americans.

Of course its Saturday so there is no representative to speak with. I would love to join a class action suit, please tell me how!

ragingfuckinghomo

Yeah, NCB is a *** joke..their online banking is a scam..I will run my atm card lets say at walmart on wednesday...4-5 days go by before it EVEN pops up in the pending section! So ofcourse me and my old lady have a joint acct..you 2 people spending and working full time jobs--trying to balance a checkbook??

And you should be able to click online and see all the transactions..THE ONLY EXCEPTION is when you buy gas at the pump and even that shows as a $1..I got nailed with 8 of them one week..because of the holiday..the deposit was a day short and truck payment went through automatically..then all of a sudden 7 transactions ALL popped up same day...*** and pleaded with manager to cut me a break..*** looked at me like I was crazy...ONLY GOOD THING PNC bought their sorry *** out..I used them before on the east coast and had ZERO ISSUES..april? I think full transition goes in effect..

Keasbey, New Jersey, United States #95750

I now have 3 overdrafots for $34 a pop.

I check my account online several times a day and I check it one day and have more than enough funds. The next day I have overdrafts because of how their system calculates? How does that make any sense? If my online total balance available says I have the money and shows all the purchases in the list then there is something wrong.

I think they are doing this to collect nsf fees and I think it's got to be illegal to show you have an available balance and then all of a sudden with no additional charges made you are over drawn.

Im so down for a class action if one gets started.

I am also extremely interested in a lawsuit agianst NCB for all of the reasons you have listed able. I was ripped off 3 times by NCB.

I tried to call them, and complain, why they charged me so much money for overdraw fees. When I was making small purchases with my debit card, (and I was always approved to do so) but the next day I was charged 7x36 dollars. For overdraw limits. What the bank does is disgusting.

First they approve you and then they charge you. Lets go and sue them like other people do to other banks.

Dehra Dun, Uttarakhand, India #90098

National City Bank(St.Louis, Mo) is devastating my family. I've been in a 6-week long vicious circle of debt with them.

I screwed up and received an NSF charge of $36.00, that caused a chain reaction of more bounced transactions and more fees. My husband's paycheck is direct deposited every friday, but it somehow never seems to be enough to cover their charges. We have now paid over $1152.00 just in their unscrupulous fees. Our monthly income is just over $1700.00 a month, so it has been devastating.

I have not been able to pay any bills and all utilities are subject to disconnect and our car/homeowner's insurance is due to be cancelled if all do not get a double payment soon. Every payday, I check the account hoping that maybe they left us enough money to live on. Some weeks it's been $20.00 or so, some paydays there is nothing available. It's as if my husband has been layed off for over a month.

I called and pleaded with them to please help end this terrible cycle before we lose eveything, but I was just given a tongue lash about how it's all my fault that I don't know how to manage my checkbook.

I don't know how we are going to survive......all of this because of a bank's fee policies. :cry

i used to bank with national city, (currently happy with huntington national bank) after i opened my account at huntington ikept my national city bank open for one automated payment of $27 last october i deposited money in the atm to cover this charge, it never posted i never checked my balance because i knew i deposited enough. the following month i did the same and then the third month my card would not work to make the atm deposit, i went into the bank to find out i was several hundred dollars in the hole the first deposit never cleared, so i was charged the $36 overdraft and then $8 a day after that, they never once notified me during this 3 month period, talked to branch manager who agreed to take a "few" charges off, i still owed them for well over $400, **** national city

I have over $3000 in overdraft charges and NSF fees with National City Bank. I am going to file a small claims lawsuit and try to get some of my money back.

I admit I am guilty of about 1/4th of the charges but not nearly what they claim I did. I am willing to get together and have a class action lawsuit.

e-mail address is wndbarnett@aol.com. Let's stop the madness!!!!!!!

#82007

Checked my balance today...-130 in JUST overdraft charges. Deposited 300 in on Friday just to try to pay bills today and find out I am negative for spending 60 dollars at the mall....WTF.

I too have been charged about 90.00 for being short 6.00. And prior to that same thing, when you look at your online statement it doesn't make sense.

It will show I'm in the positive and the next line will have overdraft fees. :sigh

I'm all down for this. I have printouts as well. They completely *** me while I was in Europe. When I overdrafted a few dollars, they put all of my the international withdrawal fees (2% of every withdrawal) at the end of my statement chronologically, where they didn't belong. They are supposed to show up immediately after every withdrawal, similar to an ATM charge. So instead of getting one overdraft fee, I received TEN due to their manipulation of my account charges. I *** hate this bank. They are so malicious and insidious. I can't believe people can work for such an institution -- minions sucking the big, sweaty *** of corporate banking.

This is only one example of MANY. I've had nearly $1000 in overdraft fees the last year. Logically I should have had no more than $100 or $200, but they rape you when you overdraft and suck out every dollar they can from you. What really irritates me about the whole thing is that they exploit people who clearly don't have any money. It's so unethical, so wrong, so opportunistic, so illegal, and so inhumane. Their twisted logic somehow rationalizes charging a customer $400 in overdraft fees when they accidentally spend less than $5 more than they had in their account, giving you no opportunity to rectify (since they ALWAYS show up overnight).

Please, let's start a class-action suit.

I got charged 380.00 nsf fee because of the nsf fee. I'd join the class action.

This bank is definitely a big rip-off. Put my paycheck in Saturday.

Showed credit for my deposit Monday. Showed a running balance of nearly 400.00 on Monday. Went to use my debit card for a 7.00 purchase and was declined. Talked to a bank rep as to why I had a freeze on my account and he said he did not know.

Today(2 days later) I have been charged three overdraft fees(34.00) ond a 15.00 balance transfer fee to boot. Screwed and did not get a kiss.

Yeah, we've had several savings & a joint checking with this bank for 6 yrs... And recently, they had changed their practices & their fees have gone up.

In the 6yrs we've had them, we never had any problems until these changes took place. Now our deposits take longer to go in, then we get overdraft fees because of their slowness - and that's $34 a pop... And when I called about their businss practice, they had the gall to ask me "Don't you balance your checkbook every month?" You call THAT customer service?

Hello! We haven't had any problems in 6yrs (& we've gotten more income/promotions at work & live in the same area for ages so bills haven't changed much,) so balancing my checkbook is not the issue, but I found it rude of the rep to try to slap that one on me.

If you take a look at the statements, once our deposit clears (3 days later), we had more than enough to cover every transaction. But they'd rather make $$ off their customers via fees & such.

What kind of *** is that?! We're switching banks ASAP. I don't need to be homeless, hungry, & broke for the holidays because National City wants to use me to pay their debts. Screw that! BTW, their fine print says they need at least 10 days' notice if you are closing your account -- so withdraw everything, deposit it into a new bank, and THEN tell them you're closing it... Or else you could face having your billlpays unpaid & your money frozen until they're slow butts get into gear. :(

elkhornpaula

I am extremely interested in a lawsuit against NCB for all the reasons you all have listed. When ready your stories I felt like you already knew mine! Obviously none of us are millionaires and NCB is stealing from us because of their own issues!

I am extremely interested in a lawsuit against National City Bank for all the reason you have listed. Please lets get together to get this done!

A class action law suite is recommended. This bank boarders of criminal in my opinion.

I don't know how to go about it but I am going to investigate. I want to see this bank squirm for as much hurt, and harm they have caused .

:) I love my National City account! I keep a check book register and have never been charged once for an overdraft. Also I get points on my debit card and it funds my coffee addiction!

National City sons a *** $310 overdraft fees - all I want is a class action Law suit so I can get involved!!! How do we get one started against National City!

Lewisham, Tasmania, Australia #28028

I've had similar experiences with my bank account here. I also use online banking to keep track of purchases and my balance. 95% of my debit / credit card purchases show up IMMEDIATELY, while the remaining 5% are usually what cause me some problems.

I've bitched about this to a manager the last time this happened to me and there wasn't anything they would do.

He told me that if you use your debit/credit card for a purchase, it only checks your available balance, which does NOT take into account any other pending transactions, (similar to ATM receipt balances) so it will still approve the transaction. He claimed it was for customer convenience, which is BS. I didn't realize that getting charged nearly $40 per overdraft was 'convenient.'

So apparently, their system knows the same day when a pending transaction will put your account into the negative, and you WILL be charged an overdraft fee, regardless of if you deposit cash the very next business day (I've had overdraft fees not even show up in my online banking until several days AFTER my paycheck was direct deposited)

IMHO this should constitute predatory lending, simply because they're giving you money even though they KNOW you don't have that in your account.

Pultusk, Mazowieckie, Poland #27298

:( I recently made a deposit to National City to cover my rent check. A week before my check went through, I had $40 more than my rent check was for.

I made a $10 dollar purchase which still made my balance enough to cover my check. When the check went through, National City said I didn't have enough funds, the check was returned, and $34 was deducted from my account for insufficient funds. Then, to kick me when I'm down, they took $100 out of my savings as an "overdraft protection" and then charged me $15 for doing that!

This bank is ridiculous. I am closing my account on Monday!

Stockholm, Wisconsin, United States #23283

:( this bank is a rip-off. They steal your money, then lie to you about their overdraft policy.

Never do their policies and procedures stay the same. The Reps.

are rude and uneducated. PLEASE PUT YOUR MONEY IN ANY BANK BUT THIS ONE

Rajsamand, Rajasthan, India #21949

Go Figure!! I, at times, can get myself overdrawn, without any help. However, I had been doing well until about April. I started watching their printout and lo and behold,,, in the middle of a string of positive ending balances is one of my $ 15.00 copays to my doctor with insufficient funds stamped all over it. I spent the week-end trying to calculate how this happened when I began noticing a couple of overdraft charges here and there until (with the help of National City I was in the negative and they were raking in 4 to 6 overdrafts per day!!!! When I went to speak to the Branch Manager about it, she immediate got on her high horse and told me it was my fault and she would not get off that line. She asked me if I used my register and I told her "between my daughter and National City I don't see that that would even help." At least my daughter gives me a heads up when she takes money... LOL

Since my payroll checks are direct deposit, I decided I will allow them to go in, not use their card, keep only the amount needed to cover my withdrawals and get a safe for home and checks required to be written I will use money orders or Western Union... I will not allow them to use my money to look good...

I think many of us have subtantial proof for a Class Action Law Suit. Come on Attorneys - Let's get going....

I also wrote initially to the Comptroller of the Currency and it pretty much sounded verbatim of what the manager said. So, I gave them a little fodder of what has been happening. So we will see.

Philippi, West Virginia, United States #19795

and i have noticed that they take the big puchases first (even it they were puchased last or even a different day) and put them through then smaller ones to try to get more over draft fees. -- i just closed my account today, but i have copies also

Honeyville, Utah, United States #17162

National City Bank is the single worst bank in the history of banking. There is no company that so callously treats their customers as Nat City.

Recently, I had this experience. A relative wanted to go to the funeral for her grandmother but had no money. I felt bad for her and did for her what I would want someone to do for me. I paid for her plane ticket. I had, at the time, an available balance on my card of $270 but the finance fees were due to be added in two days. On Sunday I purchased the ticket. On Monday, I visited a Nat City branch and paid again on my credit card ( I had already paid it for the month but I didn't want to go over when they added their monthly finance charge on Tuesday). Making my best guess using last months finance charge, and paying that amount, I still went over by $4.08, yes, four dollars and 8 cents. I was promptly charged their $39 over the limit charge. Ok, so still, whatever, they're a bank, they're going to make their money anyway they can and take advantage of any small error you make. Most banks do that. Here's the part where Nat City showed what a bottom of the barrel pack of creeps they really are:

The following Sunday, today, I get an email from my credit monitoring service "there has been potentially negative information posted to your credit bureau". I log on to their site and guess what, National City posted, to my credit report, this $4 overage as negative reporting. My card has an $11,500 limit. So, for exceeding my credit limit by .0003 percent ( 3/10,000th of one percent) National City gave me the only negative credit reporting I have had on my account for $25 years. No other bank has ever done this to me.

This is the single worst organization I have ever encountered (possibly, only besides Paypal corp)

Dunbarton, New Hampshire, United States #17115

You're going to file a "class action" over the fact that you wrote checks or did debits on an account and didn't have the money to cover them? Yeah, that'll go far. :cry

South Jordan, Utah, United States #16292

:( I'm with you there, They shared my personal account information over the drive thru loudspeaker and joked about my account when they were unaware of the microphone being on. Their tellers have always been rude and this was the last time.

I am closing my account and getting out while the getting is good.

They are currently tied up with big time lawsuits and don't look like they are going to last. I guess karma does catch up with you, hahaha.

View more comments

Completely appalled by behavior of national city bank representatives

Erie, Pennsylvania 3 comments

I went to a drive through in Erie PA, on a Saturday, with check for $3,500. I told the teller I wanted to cash the check and receive back $100.

I had also filled out the deposit slip accordingly. There was no mention to me that they have a 24hr grace period on checks before the funds become available. Well come Monday I get hit with 9 overdraft charges! And why is it that they post the highest checks first??

Seven of the 9 would have cleared before the last 2 checks hit! How do they get away with doing this? Their customer service representatives are so rude. They actually told me that it's not their fault I have checks out there that I can't cover.

Can you believe it! I am appalled and will change banks immediately.

I wil do everything in my power to inform other consumers of what I think is unethical behavior.

Review about: Deposit Posting And Highest Check Postings For Ove.

#61961

First, your not cashing check. your depositing the check and getting cash back.

Second of all dumb ***, your funds availability that is given to you. What are we supposed to do tell every single customer now your funds wont be available tell tomorrow just like every bank and your availability says. 2nd of all jack ***, guess what its not our responsibility to know what has came through your account, we don't know if you have outstand check they only show if they are coming through the account. Grow up and take some *** responsibility.

Plus your lucky the teller didn't hold the 3500.00 for five business day. The computer prompts for a hold we can override by overriding the teller accepts responsibility for it. In other that *** check you just griped about, it comes back its the teller's job. She/he just done you a favor, and you were an ***.

for you HMS Pina4 listen us teller shouldnt have to ask about your account information over the intercom unless you didn't send your *** in when you want to deposit/ or cash a check, then we have to ask you for it, and I'm not wasting the time of the person behind you because you were to *** not to fill our your own paper work, your gonna tell me over the intercom or send it in. People are just to lazy

South Jordan, Utah, United States #16293

I am closing my account and getting out while the getting is good.

Murrumbeena, Victoria County, Trinidad And Tobago #15622

If you feel the bank is conducting it's business in a illegal manner and money has been taken from your account contact the OFFICE OF THE CONTROLLER OF THE CURRENCY! This organization controls and regulates the banking industry and will fine banks for this type of behavior.

National City Bank - National City Stole my money

Saint Louis, Missouri 9 comments

I am formally filing this complaint with you about my bank, National City located at 1385 North Green Mount Road, O’Fallon, IL. 62269. I made a deposit on the 9th of this month of 200$, I personally went to the bank and stood in line at 1:45p.m., I wasn’t serviced until slightly after 2:00p.m. They did not have enough people to handle the incoming traffic. My deposit should have been placed on that days business but the bank delayed it till the following Monday the 12th due to their lack of being able to get to me in time. Over the weekend I made purchases on my account that was in the positive to begin with, that I assumed my money was available for. Monday morning I updated my Quicken account to find that my deposit was still pending, even though it should have been placed on the 9th’s business!! I wasn’t worried due to the fact that the pending items listed my deposit as being processed first.

Tuesday morning I found that my account was placed into the negative. Additional deposits had been made to cover any upcoming expenditure I might have had. The bank said to me that there is nothing they were willing to do for me and that I should practice better accounting methods, which is ironic due to the fact that my accounting is done through Quicken which downloads from their web service. The Branch Manager says to me that he would refund 2 of the 9 overdraft fees. I told him that I wasn’t satisfied with that and would be closing my account and he said ok. I work in the customer service industry and it seems to me that if I had a customer that I had wronged I would do anything in my power to rectify the situation. This is not the practice that the bank philosophies state. I feel as if they stole money from me and my family and will do anything possible to get it back.

Comments

*Correction* Been on the phone with the bastards since Friday and it's NOW Tuesday, and I still don't have my cash...

kc, you too huh?? That's exactly the hassle I'm going through with this waste of space company.

Had a sprint, pcs bill that was supposed to get taken out of the account. Talked to the reps at sprint, who informed me that there was nothing they could do to stop payments from coming out, and to contact my bank. (Aka, national ***) Which I had done. Placed a stop payment on, the bank took out the 32.00 fee, and three days later, proceeds to take out the ach from sprint.

Been on the phone with the no good, don't have a clue about life, let alone banking reps since Friday (It's not Tuesday) And STILL don't have my stop payment in effect, nor the 32.00 refunded back to me, at the very least...

Contacted the BBB Yesterday, still waiting to hear back from them... National *** Bastards!~

I have had problems with national city bank ever since I started banking with them. One day when I came into the bank

to make a deposit I came in around 3:15.

I waited in line with ten other people

and not enough clerks were working to handle the incoming traffic. Natinal City

Bank's Service is crappy.

When I first opened my account I had

almost $963 altogether. They told me that I would get direct deposit from my job. I had a checking and savings account. 3 weeks after banking with them, they took

more than $500 from me all bcz I took out

$15 for gas and another reason is bcz of the bank statement they mailed out to me

and the fee was $12. They would not stop charging me overdraft fees. I even talked

to the branch manager about it and they still charged me. The day I closed my account I wanted to choke anybody who works there. Now I'm banking at a different and better bank, I'm trying to get back on my budget. National City stole

my life savings from me. I hope National

City Bank closes down.

In Novemeber of 08 i wrote a check to my car lease company. The next month they called and said they never received the check, that they were going to turn me into a credit company???

wow!! So I went to the NCB in my town and filed the stop payment for $32.00. I was never told this was only good for 6 months or I would've just closed my account, but then again from what i am hearing, they pass the checks on a closed account....so anyway, I called the bank and they said basically that they "stale date" checks after 6 months, but if that check does pass thru my account and it is possible, that they could deduct it from my account, then all my other checks i write would be isf and have a charge. they then said i could dispute the charges which could take up to 2 weeks and the hassle.

Then she preceded to tell me that it may be worth my piece of mind to pay another $32.00 for another 6 months. I asked her why should I pay if you are not supposed to cash it after 6 months. really no good answer. i feel like my account is being held hostage every 6 months for the $32.00 for the rest of my life.

even if I close the account and it comes thru I'm screwed. Just needed to vent..I'm not paying it....she said 6 months and I'm holding her to it.

So, it's National City's fault that YOU over-paid a company and that YOU made a mistake??? I think its time to admit that you are not perfect. :cry Also, every branch posts what time they cut over every day...Maybe you should read the signs, since you claim to be waiting 15 minutes in line.

Dunbarton, New Hampshire, United States #17114

The Office of the Comptroller will fine a bank because a customer wrote checks that they couldn't cover? No, don't give people false hope.

Why did this complainant wait to make a deposit until after he or she wrote checks or made debits on the account? I can understand this individual being upset, but your "formal complaint" is a waste of time.

Murrumbeena, Victoria County, Trinidad And Tobago #15624

Contact the Office of the Controller of the Currency and they will fine this bank for this behavior. Good-Luck.

Sistersville, West Virginia, United States #15435

The national city company stole $170 from my husband and i. i had accidentally made a payment to a company in the amount of $365 instead of the $100 i had intended.

well i called WITHIN TEN MINUTES of making this payment and put a stop payment on it. The guy said it would be a $32 charge and i said "fine" anyway the next day my husband and i try to use our card in the atm and it said we were reading a negative!! turns out the bank charged us for the stop payment but didnt STOP THE PAYMENT. so we not only had $365 too much come out we also had 6 overdraft charges on there as well.

well they said they would get it reversed and take care of the fees and they did BUT not before another 5 overdraft charges were applied. these five they REFUSED to get rid of despite the fact this entire situation was THEIR fault....needless to say--we are closing our accounts tomorrow morning.

Roanoke, Illinois, United States #13912

the National City bank In Michigan City, Indiana is the worst bank that I have ever used. Every teller gives you a different answer for when your money will be available, when they wrongfully give you overdrafts, they are rude to the customer, and are not whiling to work with you to ratify the situation.

Their is a Supervisor who is afwul, on many occasions she refused to give me the proper numbers to the people who could fix the probelm.

Michigan City's National City bank, needs to be looked at, as soon as possible. I hate National City.

National City Bank - Arbitrary Posting of Credit Deposits

Miami, Florida 0 comments

We have both a joint personal account and a business account with National City. We, also, have accounts with Bank of America and a former account with Fidelity Federal.

We never had problems with these other banks. National City's online accounts are not "real" time. They post debits and then they disappear for 2 - 5 days. One never knows what their real balance is (never a problem with Fidelity Federal of Bank of America).

This is purposely done to maximize their overdraft fees. We, also, have credit card processing through Merchant Bank. We will process credit card transactions, get a confirmation of "account settled" at the same time for these transactions, then National City will process these days apart.

Bank Regulators need to be contacted on every problem.

We have the necessary paperwork from Merchant Bank to file a complaint. National City cannot arbitrarily process these transactions.

Needless to say, we are transferring to a reputable bank.

Review about: Online And Credit Postings.

National City Bank - Branch refuses to help on a check /house fire loss

Chicago, Illinois 1 comment

i called several national city banks to get help to release a insurance check to put me and my family under a roof from a house fire we had total loss.and i was told it could happen but the branch i deal with has to do it. and i finally got ahold of thefranklin branch manager stephany and she refuses to help in my situation so currently i am without anywhere to go for several days.it is pretty sad that all the other branches was willing to help but except my own branch in franklin ,indiana.thank you

#61963

that's great they were wiling to help. Insurance checks present a huge liability for the bank, since most insurance would like us to hold the check.

there is a lot of fraud out there. If that check comes back bad for whatever reason, it may mean a teller or managers job. Be very grateful that they did that. By overriding the hold they are accepting full responsibility.

Let me ask you, how would you like to be put in that position? I live in indiana to, right now, there is not a whole lot of jobs.